Creating Entrepreneurs: Quick Tips for Teachers to Develop Entrepreneurial Skills in Students
Entrepreneurial skills play a very important role in the life and success of an entrepreneur. Job creation is the need of the hour and for this we need to train students in the right way so that they develop an entrepreneurial spirit.
It is important for faculty members to understand that building entrepreneurial skills in students should be a priority in their minds to develop students into successful professionals and entrepreneurs.
Here are some tips for teachers and faculty members to teach entrepreneurial skills to students.
How to develop entrepreneurial skills
1. Case study method: (To develop creativity and innovation skills) Faculty members can adopt the case study method with students to discuss various business cases/problems with the aim of developing the ability to think creatively. creativity in students.
2. Success method: (To build confidence and character) Faculty members can share the success story of various leading and successful entrepreneurs to ignite the entrepreneurial spirit in the minds and hearts of students. This motivates students to think about becoming an entrepreneur.
3. Idea Generation Contest Method: (To develop original thinking skills) Faculty members can bring students together to brainstorm and ask them to brainstorm or generate an idea to launch a new product or service that is not available in the market.
4. Business plan method: (To develop holistic planning skills) Students are advised by their faculty members to prepare a business plan on the business idea that interests them.
Students can prepare a Word file to describe their proposed business idea, an Excel file to prepare projected financial statements, and a PowerPoint presentation to explain their business idea using a multimedia projector.
5. Simulation method: (To build problem-solving skills) Faculty members can use the business simulation method to create a real-life situation where students learn how to solve business problems in a simulated environment.
6. Project management method: (To build project management skills) Faculty members can use the project planning method using Microsoft Project software so that students can learn the intricacies of project management to maximize output and minimize input with an intent to optimize resources and maximize productivity.
7. Project design method: (To develop design skills) Faculty members can use the design project method in which they assign a design project to an individual or group of students to hone their design skills.
8. Digital Marketing Project Method: (To develop digital marketing skills). Students can be given a digital marketing project with the aim of enabling them to use the various social media marketing and digital marketing channels to maximize the sale of products and services. It helps students develop their digital marketing skills.
9. Method of developing mission, vision, goals and objectives: (to develop goal setting skills) Students can be trained to develop and storyboard the mission, vision, goals and objectives of the proposed organization.
This enables students to set goals for different functional departments, teams, and individuals, which ultimately contributes to the achievement of organizational goals and objectives.
10. IT project method: (For building IT skills) Students are assigned a multidimensional IT project in which they are required to plan, implement and control all aspects of IT functions including hardware, software, networks, website, social media marketing, digital marketing, etc. .
11. Communication attribution method: (To develop communication skills) Students are given several assignments relating to verbal/non-verbal, oral/written methods with the aim of developing their oral and written communication skills.
12. Method of managerial games: (For managerial skill building) Faculty members develop various managerial games to develop students’ managerial skills.
Students playing the games are able to develop their management skills in planning, organizing, staffing, directing and controlling.
13. Accounting and financial modeling method: (For financial and accounting skills building) Students have the opportunity to learn about finance and accounting using financial modeling using spreadsheet software like Excel. This allows the student to learn finance and accounting.
To sum up, faculty members should adopt various methods mentioned above to develop the entrepreneurial skills of students to enable them to become a successful entrepreneur in their lives.
– Article by PC Chhabra – Executive Director, University of Sanskriti
Read: Gap years and entrepreneurship: what should students do during confinement?
Read: 7 ways to teach entrepreneurship to your children early in life
Read: 4 entrepreneurial skills you can learn during your startup internship